I made a critical error in judgment last month: I bought an electric vehicle.
It’s a sleek, silent, tokenised piece of modern engineering—let’s call it the VoltCraft EV-X. It’s the kind of car that makes you feel like you’re living in 2030, right up until you try to charge it using a standard wall socket and realise it takes thirty-six hours to gain ten percent of battery.
To fix this, I needed a dedicated 22kW Home Fast Charger. And to run a Fast Charger, I needed to upgrade my home's electrical infrastructure to a 3-Phase Power Meter.
This is where I met VoltGrid, the state utility monopoly whose administrative workflow was clearly designed during the Bronze Age.
Usually, it’s The Director who walks face-first into tech-induced disaster while I watch from the sidelines with a cold drink. But this time, I got arrogant. I thought my decades of navigating broken enterprise databases and corporate red tape had prepared me for a simple residential utility upgrade.
I was wrong.
It began with the Site Verification Phase. VoltGrid informed me that before they could even look at my application, they required four separate physical site visits. Not one. Four.
Visit 1: A man arrived, looked at my wall, nodded, and left.
Visit 2: A different man arrived, looked at the exact same wall, shook his head, and left.
Visit 3: A team of three arrived, measured the driveway with a tape measure, and declared my house "geographically complex."
Visit 4: The original man returned to verify that the second man’s head-shake was properly documented.
On the fourth visit, VoltGrid discovered the "Outrageous Issue."
The inspector pointed a trembling finger at the main junction box outside my gate. "This neutral earth wire is painted light grey," he said, his voice dripping with bureaucratic horror. "Regulatory code states it must be medium charcoal. We cannot process a 3-Phase application for a compromised structure."
"The developer built it that way twenty years ago!" I protested. "It’s a shade of paint!"
"Non-compliant," he declared, stamping my file with a red mark. "You must report to the Central District Office to rectify the discrepancy."
The VoltGrid Central District Office was a monument to operational friction. The air conditioning was set to arctic, and the queue system was managed by a dot-matrix printer that looked like it had survived the fall of Rome.
When my number was finally called, the clerk behind the counter inspected my file with deep suspicion.
"Your property's historical consumption records do not tally," she said, tapping a CRT monitor. "We are missing your meter reading data from November 2004."
"I was in high school in 2004!" I yelled over the hum of fluorescent lights. "I didn't live there!"
"The missing record creates an administrative vacuum," she replied impassively. "To clear the vacuum, you must pay a Legacy Audit Processing Fee."
I pulled out my credit card. She looked at it as if I’d handed her a live grenade.
"We do not accept digital payments for Legacy Vacuums," she said. "Cash only. Exact change. Counter Number 4. Counter Number 4 closes in six minutes."
I sprinted out to the nearest ATM, withdrew a stack of physical banknotes like a mid-level smuggler, and slid the cash under the glass just as the clerk was pulling down her metal shutter. How much did I give? I'm not even sure.
Two days later, VoltGrid sent an email. The 3-Phase upgrade was approved in principle, but because the installation required turning off the local grid segment for twenty minutes, I was required to secure Written Consent Forms signed by every adjacent neighbour on my street.
I have lived on my street for eight years. I have not spoken to a single neighbour since 2018. My next-door neighbour’s entire identity to me consists of the fact that he occasionally trims his hedge at 7:00 AM on Sundays.
I spent the weekend knocking on doors like an unwanted pollster, holding a clipboard and trying to explain why my desire for zero-emissions commuting required them to lose their air conditioning during the hottest hour of the afternoon.
By Sunday evening, I had jump-roped through every hoop of fire VoltGrid could construct. I had the signatures, the cash receipt for November 2004, the medium-charcoal painted wire, and four site-visit approval stamps.
Tomorrow morning, the VoltGrid heavy-crew is finally coming to cut the power, tear out my old meter, and install the glorious 3-Phase infrastructure.
My shiny new VoltCraft EV-X is sitting in the driveway, completely dead, its central touchscreen flashing a soft, mocking notification: "Battery at 1%. Please connect to power."
The 3-Phase meter is almost here. The Fast Charger hasn't even shipped yet. Wish me luck.
Comments